As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to use your compressor longer, then you want to equip it with a filter dryer. A filter dryer helps filter out moisture that could potentially build rust inside your compressor. If you want to know the best air compressor filter dryer right now, take a look at this list.
- Our Top Air Compressor Filter Dryer Recommendations
- Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer Overall: Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System
- Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer in Build Quality: Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer
- Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer With Oil Separator: Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator
- Best Heavy Duty Air Compressor Filter Dryer: EDGE INDUSTRIAL Heavy Duty Desiccant Dryer System
- Best Universal Air Compressor Filter Dryer: Devilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer
- Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer for Painting: LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator
- Features to Consider for Air Compressor Filter Dryer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Air Compressor Filter Dryer Recommendations
An air compressor filter dryer is used to clean your compressor. Having a dryer also means a lesser chance of forming rust. This helps keep your compressor operating in good condition for a long time. Below is a list of some of the best air compressor filter dryers you can get.
Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer Overall: Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System
The NANPU DFR-03 NPT Air Drying System is one of the best filter dryers you can get for your air compressor. This double-air filter is made to remove water and other liquids as well as particles from your compressor.
A double filter generally cleans better compared to a single filter. This NANPU filter dryer also has a self-relieving pressure regulator for adjusting outlet pressure, so you won’t have to worry about maintaining the right pressure. This makes this air-drying filter system one of the most popular ones on this list.
The calibration for this dryer filter follows the maximum flow requirement, and you just need to assemble it properly for use. This air drying system can function as an air filter, lubricator, and regulator, reducing your need for spending on other accessories.
It has a port size of ⅜ inch, so it will only fit with compressors with the same port size. So make sure you check your port size or get an adapter.
The pressure adjustment on this air-drying system is easy to use. Just pull up the knob of the pressure gauge and rotate it. Clockwise to increase pressure and counterclockwise to decrease.
The easy pressure adjustment is mostly present in most of the dryer filters in this list, so you will easily operate them. This feature is common for highly popular filters, and not having it is usually a dealbreaker for some people.
When it comes to drainage, the drainage column automatically excretes when there is no pressure. It also closes when air is flowing. However, you still have to drain it from time to time for proper dehumidification.
Overall, we put the NANPU DFR Air Drying System as the best overall with all the features and downsides in mind. It gives you everything you need for a dryer filter and some extra. Some of the downsides we can find for it is that its size is limited, so you might have trouble fitting it in some compressors.
- Double filter and self-relieving pressure makes it effective in filtering
- Adjusting the pressure is easy and simple
- Oil-free, so you won’t worry about maintenance for a long time
- Limited fitting, so it might not work with your compressor
- It needs constant draining, or it will leak around the house
- 3/8" NPT Piggyback Air Filter/Regulator Combo
- Double 5 Micron Brass Filter Element, Excellent Filtering Performance, Much Longer Life and Reuse...
- Temperature Range: 41-140℉ (5-60℃）；Flow Rate: 70 SCFM (2000 L /Minute)@ 90 PSI
Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer in Build Quality: Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer
You can’t go wrong with Campbell Hausfeld regarding build quality. It’s been around since 1836, so you know that most of its products would be high-quality.
The Campbell Hausfeld air cleaner/dryer helps remove water vapor and filter air for your compressor. It’s helpful in applications that need to be oil-free and moisture free.
It has two separate systems used differently. The first one is an outlet screen that filters particles entering the airstream. The other one is an oil-removing filter that traps most oil aerosols.
It’s almost as good as the NANPU air compressor dryer filter when it comes to filtering. However, the build quality makes the Campbell Hausfeld stand out. It is made with metallic materials and only weighs 8 ounces. Lightweight yet durable, this dryer filter can last for a long time.
This dryer filter even changes color that notifies you to change the desiccant. It’s a feature that isn’t present in other filter dryers on this list.
This compressor air dryer also comes with a quick-release bowl that helps you with monitoring fluid levels. It automatically releases stored fluids when it reaches a certain level. This helps protect your compressor from moisture and protects it from rust buildup.
However, there are some downsides to this filter dryer. It’s rated for 150 PSI, so anything above that won’t be as effective or won’t work at all. The drain valve might also not close due to a defective product.
- Color change indicator that tells you when to change the desiccant
- Quick-release bowl for monitoring the fluid level of the filter
- Lightweight yet durable build quality
- The drain valve might not work properly
- Not good for long-term heavy pneumatic tool use
- Oil-removal filter traps 99.9% of all oil aerosols and a desiccant system removes water vapor,...
- The desiccant changes color when it needs to be changed or recharged, providing an easily visible...
- Item Package Dimension: 12.3" L x 7.1" W x 3.9" H
Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer With Oil Separator: Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator
If you want the best when it comes to separating oil, the NEIKO 30252A Water and Oil Separator is a great option. It has the most efficient separation process on this list and has a high dirt-holding capacity.
It comes with a large tank, so it can handle longer applications. It makes working more efficient, and you would no longer need to drain from time to time because of the large tank.
This filter dryer is extremely lightweight and is the most lightweight product on this list. It can easily attach to most air tools, so it’s easy to use.
It has a clear poly-carbonate housing allowing you to see the amount of filtered-out dirt and debris in the tank. You can just push the release valve to release the dirt and other debris trapped inside the tank, which is a convenient and time-saving feature.
It has aluminum housing and brass fittings making it durable while used. This compressor dryer filter can last for years with proper use and maintenance.
It can only be used with air pneumatic tools rated up to 90 PSI though. Therefore, you can’t use it for something heavy-duty.
The filtration process is simple. The inline oil water separator filters water vapor and dirt, so the compressor tool works at its peak condition. It also reduces the chance of your tools getting damaged or forming rust.
Aside from its limited use, the fitting may be a bit difficult since some are backward. Aside from that, this is one great filter dryer if you want something effective in separating oil.
- Lightweight build design for better portability
- Unique transparent design allows you to observe what’s inside and identify potential problems easily
- Easy to operate, so there won’t be any complications
- Only limited to 90 PSI, so it will not be able to handle heavy-duty applications that require over 100 PSI
- Fitting could be better to make it easy to install
- WATER SEPARATOR: Add this air-tool accessory to your shop or garage to stop moisture, water, oil,...
- OIL SEPARATOR: This spray-gun unit separates the oil from the air as it goes through your air hose....
- OPTIMIZE PERFORMANCE: Available in 90 PSI or 150 PSI versions, this oil-water separator traps water...
Best Heavy Duty Air Compressor Filter Dryer: EDGE INDUSTRIAL Heavy Duty Desiccant Dryer System
The EDGE INDUSTRIAL Heavy Duty Desiccant Dryer System has the highest dirt-holding capacity on this list since it is heavy-duty. It also has an excellent water separator pressure drop.
It uses mostly aluminum materials making it extremely durable and can be worked in extreme temperatures. You could use this filter dryer for years to come.
It has a cyclone construction different from other filter dryers on this list that allows you to easily access all internal components. You don’t have to do anything, such as rotating assemblies or disassembling parts saving you time.
Solid cast iron manifolds are anodized inside and out to protect them from corrosion. It also helps with maximum flow efficiency and airflow quality.
The paint has high impact resistance properties with powder coat painted steel base and stainless steel housing. The paint actually helps make this product last longer.
This product has no moving parts aside from the tank; hence you can’t use it like centrifugal-style filters like plugging.
What’s also great about this product is that it can self-clean, so you make the gap between maintenance longer.
One of this product’s downsides is its confusing manual, which makes the learning process hard. You have to rely on other forms of instruction that are more understandable.
- 250 PSI max input and a 215 PSI max output pressure make it great for heavy applications
- Transparent sides so you can see what’s inside in case of some trouble
- Cyclone construction for easy maintenance
- Takes time to learn along with hard-to-understand manual
- Some units may have defects causing air to leak while draining
- 3/4" Npt, Industrial Rated 3 Stage Combo Water Filter/ Pressure Regulator/ Coalescing Filter/...
- 225 Psi Max Input. This Unit Will Regulator Your Incoming And Outgoing Air Pressure While Removing...
- Stage 1: Water Trap Filter / Pressure Regulator. Equipped With 5 Micron Element To Remove 95% Of The...
Best Universal Air Compressor Filter Dryer: Devilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer
The DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer is an excellent option if you want something that can fit most compressors. It’s also affordable for people who like to save on costs. It’s universal, unlike the other filter dryers on this list.
This product comes with a pneumatic grease gun and a portable electric impact wrench to help you with certain applications.
It is designed to be universal, allowing you to replace old filters with no problems to cover possible leaks.
You also get a 3-stage filtering process with a filtering rate of 0.1 microns. It will filter out most particles in your compressor, ensuring clean air is used.
This compressor is also easy to maintain compared to the other products on this list. It has a filter cartridge that’s easy to remove. Hence, disassembly for maintenance and cleaning is made easy.
You also get an inlet shut-off valve regulator for safety features. It regulates the filtration system, so it works properly and smoothly.
Aside from that, you also get a humidity indicator bowl drain for monitoring the filtering process while doing your application. This can help you gauge how much fluid your filter collects, so you know when to drain.
However, this one might not last long and is prone to corrosion in the long run. This might be because of its universal design.
- 3-stage filtering and a 0.1-micron rating which means it’s effective at filtering
- Easy to maintain since the cartridge is easy to remove
- It only has 2 PSI drops, so it stays consistent most of the time
- May experience some galvanic corrosion if not used properly
- It may need some frequent changing with the airline water trap
- Complete air control
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- Can be used anywhere
Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer for Painting: LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator
If you want to focus on painting, then the LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator is your best option on this list. It has a lot of features that make painting easier.
It has a maximum operating capacity of 150 PSI. It works effectively and will work fine for long applications like wall painting.
You also get a standard ¼ inch air inlet that fits with most air tools similar to that of the DeVilbiss Air Filter and Dryer. It works great at trapping dirt and oil as a dryer filter, aside from being a water separator.
The build quality feels heavy-duty because of its compact design. It can work in almost any condition, much like the heavy-duty EDGE INDUSTRIAL dryer system.
A one-way valve also protects your air tools from unexpected backflow that can damage them. This is especially great for painting where airflow is constant. The drain valve flushes out contaminants with one press of a button.
There’s not much downside we can find with this product. However, some people have reported some leaks after months of use.
- Compact, heavy-duty build quality makes it durable and long-lasting
- Push the button drain valve for easy draining
- Compatible with most air tools
- It may have some leakage after some time
- Not as great for other applications aside from using for spray painting
- The ZN312 Compressor Air Dryer Filters out contaminants through the reusable 1 micron filter...
- The LE LEMATEC Air compressor Filter provides a broad operating PSI range of 2-150 PSI with little...
- This air compressor water separator features a one way valve protecting air tools from dangerous...
Features to Consider for Air Compressor Filter Dryer
Choosing the best air compressor filter dryer comes down to how effectively it can filter out and dry the air compressor.
The type of compressor you use decides what filter is best for you. There are three main types of air compressors: centrifugal, reciprocating, and rotary screws. Most filter dryers will have descriptions of what air compressor they are compatible with.
When choosing a filter dryer, it depends on compatibility. Hence, you should check with the manufacturer to know if your compressor model has recommended filter dryers.
The best air compressor for you should be able to handle your air compressor’s load. Otherwise, it won’t last while you are working on an application, so you have to empty it out more frequently.
The NANPU Air Drying System is your best option as it can easily handle compressors with huge load capacity.
The better quality of your filter, the more effective it will be in filtering. It also ensures that it will last longer.
There are different types of filters, and they are:
- High particulate filter
- Activated carbon absorber
- Coalescing air filter
- Compressor intake filter
Each of them has its own unique features. You just have to pick which is compatible with your air compressor and what applications you plan to use.
The NANPU Air Drying System, with its double air filters, ensures the air is highly filtered and contains no dirt.
The quality of the material used affects the product’s durability. Look for metallic materials to ensure the filter lasts longer. If you’re going to work in extreme temperatures, make sure to use one that can withstand such temperatures.
The Campbell Hausfeld is your best choice since it’s made of metallic materials and has the best build quality on the list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Really Need an Air Dryer for My Compressor?
Yes, you need an air dryer for your compressor. Air dryers help keep compressors free of moisture and prevent rust from forming.
How Do You Get Moisture Out of Compressed Air?
You can get the moisture out of compressed air by draining the tank. Other methods include water traps, filter regulators, and air dryers.
What Is a Non-Cycling Air Dryer?
Noncycling air dryers have refrigeration compressors. It starts once you turn the dryer on and will continue until it is off.
Depending on what you want, there is different air compressor dryer filter for you to choose from. Each of them has its own unique features, and all of them are good products.