The pain of purchasing an air filter dryer that does not work effectively can be unbearable. I remember buying one that never worked properly, making it harder for my compressor to filter air.
I learned my lesson and went for one I can operate easily and work appropriately. After several purchases, I found options for the best air compressor filter dryer for different needs.
- Our Top Air Compressor Filter Dryer Recommendations
- Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer Overall: Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System
- Best High-Quality Filter Dryer for an Air Compressor: Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer
- Best Filter Dryer With an Oil Separator for Air Compressors: Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator
- Best Universal Air Compressor Filter Dryer: DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer
- Best Filter Dryer for Air Compressors for Painting: LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator
- Features to Consider When Buying Air Compressor Filter Dryer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Air Compressor Filter Dryer Recommendations
The NANPU DFR-03 NPT Air Drying System tops the list of the best filter dryers for air compressors. Its high flow rate and powerful supply pressure can keep compressors in good condition.
Many air compressor filter dryers are on the market, making choosing one compatible with your compressor easy. However, you may face a challenge getting one if you know little about them. Therefore, I have compiled a list of the best air filters in the market to help you choose the right one.
Best Air Compressor Filter Dryer Overall: Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System
The NANPU DFR-03 NPT Air Drying System is one of the best filter dryers you can get for your air compressor. This double-air filter is made to remove water and other liquids as well as particles from your compressor.
The calibration for this dryer filter follows the maximum flow requirement, and you just need to assemble it properly for use. This air drying system can function as an air filter, lubricator, and regulator, reducing your need for spending on other accessories.
Like Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer, this one has a port size of ⅜ inch, so it will only fit with the same port size compressors. So make sure you check your port size or get an adapter.
The pressure adjustment on this air-drying system is easy to use. Just pull up the knob of the pressure gauge and rotate it clockwise to increase pressure and counterclockwise to decrease. The device has an operating pressure range of 0 to 125 PSI, making it easy to choose the one ideal for your compressor.
The easy pressure adjustment is mostly present in most dryer filters in this list, so you will efficiently operate them. This feature is common for highly popular filters, and not having it is usually a dealbreaker for some people.
This air-drying system has a drainage column automatically excretes when there is no pressure. It also closes when air is flowing. However, you still have to drain it occasionally for proper dehumidification.
Overall, I consider the NANPU DFR Air Drying System the best overall with all the features and downsides in mind. It gives you everything you need for a dryer filter and some extra. One downside is that its size is limited, so you might have trouble fitting it in some compressors.
- Double filter and self-relieving pressure makes it effective in filtering
- Oil-free, so you won’t worry about maintenance for a long time
- Limited fitting, so it might not work with your compressor
- It needs constant draining, or it will leak around the house
- 3/8" NPT Piggyback Air Filter/Regulator Combo
- Double 5 Micron Brass Filter Element, Excellent Filtering Performance, Much Longer Life and Reuse...
- Temperature Range: 41-140℉ (5-60℃）；Flow Rate: 70 SCFM (2000 L /Minute)@ 90 PSI
Best High-Quality Filter Dryer for an Air Compressor: Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer
You can’t go wrong with Campbell Hausfeld regarding build quality. It’s been around since 1836, so you know that most of its products would be high-quality.
The Campbell Hausfeld air cleaner/dryer helps remove water vapor and filter air for your compressor. It’s helpful in applications that need to be oil-free and moisture free.
It has two separate systems used differently. The first one is an outlet screen that filters particles entering the airstream. The other one is an oil-removing filter that traps most oil aerosols. Like Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System, this model also has a port size of ⅜ inch, making it fit the intended compressor.
It’s almost as good as the NANPU air compressor dryer filter when it comes to filtering. However, the build quality makes the Campbell Hausfeld stand out.
It is made with metallic materials and only weighs eight ounces. Lightweight yet durable, this dryer filter can last for a long time. This dryer filter even changes color, notifying you to change or recharge the desiccant. It’s a feature that isn’t in other filter dryers on this list.
This compressor air dryer also has a quick-release bowl that helps you monitor fluid levels. It automatically releases stored fluids when it reaches a certain level. This helps protect your compressor from moisture and rust buildup.
However, there are some downsides to this filter dryer. It’s rated for 150 PSI, so anything above that won’t be as effective or won’t work at all. The drain valve might also not close due to a defective product.
- It has a color-changing mechanism to notify you to recharge or change the desiccant
- It has a quick-release bowl for monitoring the fluid level of the filter
- It has an outlet screen that helps keep the desiccant particles from entering the airstream.
- The drain valve sometimes has maintenance issues
- Not suitable for long-term heavy pneumatic tool use
- Oil-removal filter traps 99.9% of all oil aerosols and a desiccant system removes water vapor,...
- The desiccant changes color when it needs to be changed or recharged, providing an easily visible...
- Item Package Dimension: 12.3" L x 7.1" W x 3.9" H
Best Filter Dryer With an Oil Separator for Air Compressors: Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator
The NEIKO 30252A Water and Oil Separator is an excellent option if you want the best when separating oil. It has the most efficient separation process on this list and has a high dirt-holding capacity.
This air compressor filter has a large tank that helps handle longer applications. This makes working more efficient as you will not need to drain occasionally. Unlike others on the list, this air filter dryer is the most lightweight, making it easy to attach to most air tools.
The air filter also has a clear poly-carbonate housing allowing you to see the amount of filtered-out dirt and debris in the tank. You can push the release valve to remove the dirt and other debris trapped inside the tank. This is a convenient and time-saving feature.
The device also has aluminum housing and brass fittings to help prolong its lifespan when used appropriately. It is available in 90 or 150 PSI versions.
These pressure ratings are efficient in helping the device trap water vapor and dust, maximizing performance. The only downside of this air compressor filter dryer is that the fitting may be difficult since some are backward.
- It has a unique transparent design allows you to observe what’s inside and identify potential problems easily
- Lightweight build design for better portability
- The device needs continuous monitoring to ensure it works well
- It may require proper knowledge to operate the air compressor
- WATER SEPARATOR: Add this air-tool accessory to your shop or garage to stop moisture, water, oil,...
- OIL SEPARATOR: This spray-gun unit separates the oil from the air as it goes through your air hose....
- OPTIMIZE PERFORMANCE: Available in 90 PSI or 150 PSI versions, this oil-water separator traps water...
Best Universal Air Compressor Filter Dryer: DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer
The DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filter and Dryer is an excellent option if you want something that can fit most compressors. Unlike others on the list, this filter dryer is universal and affordable, making you save on the cost. The product also has a pneumatic grease gun and a port size of ½ inch, making it work efficiently.
It has a 3-stage filtering process with a filtering rate of 0.1 microns. This makes it easy to filter out most particles in your compressor, ensuring clean air is used. It is a universal design air filter, allowing you to replace old filters with no problems to cover possible leaks.
This compressor is also easier to maintain than the other products on this list. It has a filter cartridge that’s easy to remove. This makes it easier to perform maintenance practices.
You also get an inlet shut-off valve regulator for safety features. This feature regulates the filtration system, enhancing the efficiency of this device.
The product has a humidity indicator bowl drain for monitoring the filtering process while doing your application. This can help you gauge how much fluid your filter collects so you know when to drain. The only downside of this device is that it is prone to corrosion which can decrease its lifespan.
- Three-stage filtering and a 0.1-micron rating which means it’s effective at filtering
- It only has 2 PSI drops, so it stays consistent most of the time
- May experience some galvanic corrosion if not properly maintained
- It may need some frequent changing with the airline water trap
- Complete air control
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- Can be used anywhere
Best Filter Dryer for Air Compressors for Painting: LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator
If you want to focus on painting, then the LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator is your best option on this list. This device has a maximum operating capacity of 150 PSI, which works effectively for long applications like wall painting.
This air compressor for painting has a standard ¼ inch air inlet that fits with most air tools similar to the DeVilbiss Air Filter and Dryer. This makes it great at trapping dirt and oil.
The build quality feels heavy-duty because of its compact design. It can work in almost any condition, much like the heavy-duty EDGE INDUSTRIAL dryer system.
The product has a one-way valve that protects your air tools from unexpected backflow that can damage them. This is especially great for painting where airflow is constant.
The drain valve flushes out contaminants with one press of a button. The only downside of this compressor filter dryer is that it may leak after some time if not well-maintained.
- Compact, heavy-duty build quality makes it durable and long-lasting
- Push the button drain valve for easy draining
- It may have some leakage after some time
- Requires proper knowledge to operate
- Broad PSI Range: This air compressor water separator operates between 2-150 PSI, making it versatile...
- Safety First: Equipped with a one-way valve, this air compressor filter prevents dangerous backflow,...
- Universal Compatibility: Works with any air tool and compressor configuration. This water separator...
Features to Consider When Buying Air Compressor Filter Dryer
Choosing the best air compressor filter dryer depends on how effectively it can filter out and dry the air compressor. Here are some of the features to consider before purchasing one:
|Air Filter Dryer||Port Size||Operating pressure||Protective Mechanism|
|Nanpu DFR-03 Npt Air Drying System||⅜ inch||0 to 125 PSI||System drainage column automatically excretes when there is no pressure|
|Campbell Hausfeld Air Cleaner/Air Dryer|
|0 to 150PSI||Color changes notify the need to change or recharge the desiccant|
|Neiko 30252A Water and Oil Separator||¼ inch||0 to 150 PSI||Poly-carbonate housing for checking the filtered-out dirt and debris in the tank|
|Devilbiss 130525 QC3 Air Filte||½ inch||0 to 150 PSI||Inlet shut-off valve regulator|
|LE LEMATEC Air Compressor Water Separator||¼ inch||0 to 150 PSI||One-way valve prevents unexpected backflow|
The type of compressor you use decides what filter is best for you. There are three main types of air compressors:
- Rotary screws
Most filter dryers will have descriptions of what air compressor they are compatible with. When choosing a filter dryer, it depends on compatibility. Hence, you should check with the manufacturer if your compressor model has recommended filter dryers.
The best air compressor for you should be able to handle your air compressor’s load. Otherwise, it won’t last while you work on an application, so you must empty it more frequently.
The NANPU Air Drying System is your best option, as it can easily handle compressors with tremendous load capacity.
Filter Type and Quality
The better quality of your filter, the more effective it will be in filtering. It also ensures that it will last longer. There are different types of filters, and they are:
- High particulate filter
- Activated carbon absorber
- Coalescing air filter
- Compressor intake filter
Each of them has its own unique features. You just have to pick which is compatible with your air compressor and what applications you plan to use. The NANPU Air Drying System, with its double air filters, ensures the air is highly filtered and contains no dirt.
The quality of the material used affects the product’s durability. Look for metallic materials to ensure the filter lasts longer. If you are working in extreme temperatures, use one that can withstand such temperatures.
The Campbell Hausfeld is your best choice since it’s made of metallic materials and has the best build quality on the list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Need an Air Dryer for My Compressor?
Yes, you need an air dryer for your compressor because they help keep compressors free of moisture and prevent rust from forming. The air dryers do this by condensing water vapor hence compressing the air. This results in a dryer air that minimizes the compressor’s damage.
How Do You Get Moisture Out of Compressed Air?
You can get the moisture out of compressed air by draining the tank. Other methods include water traps, filter regulators, and air dryers. Removing the moisture also ensures the internal parts of your compressor are not damaged, reducing repair costs.
What Is a Non-Cycling Air Dryer?
Non-cycling air dryers have refrigeration compressors. It starts once you turn the dryer on and will continue until it is off. They are sometimes called constant-speed or fixed-speed air dryers because they maintain a continuous operation of the compressor system.
An air compressor filter is one of the versatile devices that helps your compressor work well and last long. Therefore, getting one that is compatible with your air compressor and functions appropriately is ideal. This list has some of the best air compressor filter dyers in the market.